Thursday, October 23, 2008

Perfectly Poughkeepsied

As you all know by now, I was born and raised in Poughkeepsie which is located in the heart of New York's Mid-Hudson Valley region. I took growing up in this wonderfully rich cultured area for granted. I spent my entire life trying to get out of there, and once I finally achieved this goal, I realized how great living there is, in fact, I spend almost all of my weekends there. That being said, I catch a lot of grief from my "city" friends for this. They can not understand why I would want to leave the city and go "upstate" (this drives me nuts, Poughkeepsie is hardly upstate) every weekend. Well my friends, I am writing this post to answer that very question for you. After reading this, you will understand the many reasons why I chose to leave the city life behind every weekend and head "upstate" (ah whatever) to my "little heaven". Enjoy!!
I would like to start off by saying that there is an enormous amount of history in the Mid-Hudson Valley. Lets first explore the numerous wealthy families that inhabited the area in the early days. Have you ever heard of the Vanderbilts, the Mills, Franklin Roosevelt, or the Montgomerys? I am sure you have, and yup, all these families have beautiful homes in Dutchess County that are now open to the public to visit for minimal fees. These homes (all of which I have visited) are so magnificent and rich in their own ways.
The Vanderbilts, built there home in 1898 located right off the Hudson River in historic Hyde Park, New York (next town up from Poughkeepsie). This beautiful 54-room mansion was one of the first steeled framed houses in the United States. It is 55,000 square feet and the smallest of the Vanderbilts numerous estates. (http://www.frommers.com/destinations/mid-hudsonvalley/A33079.html) This is a must see beauty along the Hudson. Perfect for picnics and family fun all year long.

Another inhabitant of the wonderful Hudson Valley was former President Franklin Delano Roosevelt. FDR and his wife Eleanor also lived along the Hudson River in Hyde Park. As a matter of fact, they lived right up the street from the Vanderbilt's (excellent neighborhood). Next to his home, he built is presidential library which along with his home is open to the public to this day. (http://www.frommers.com/destinations/mid-hudsonvalley/A33080.html)

The Mills were another family who decided to dwell in the Mid-Hudson Valley area. Ruth Livingston Mills, wife of Ogden Mills (a financier and philanthropist), inherited this gorgeous 25-room Greek Revival. They lived in the home in the late 1800's and the early 1900's. Today the estate belongs to the state and like the other 2 mentioned mansions, is open to the public.





The last of "the ridiculously wealthies" I will mention are the Montgomerys, who built their home in nearby Kingston, NY (also along the Hudson River). Montgomery Place was designed by Alexander Jackson Davis and built in 1802 by Mrs. Montgomery on a working farm in Northern Dutchess County (http://www.hudsonvalley.org/content/view/79/272/). This is another great estate open to the public.













All of these homes are truly breath taking. They are great places to visit with your family, or a date, for outstanding indoor and outdoor fun. Each of these families have contributed to our country in great ways (far too much to get into for the purpose of this blog). I encourage each of you to check out the cited websites too learn all the interesting historical facts behind each of these families.
OK, next lets talk about the number of Colleges and Universities that are found throughout the area. Poughkeepsie itself houses 2 outstanding colleges and the state's number one community college. Marist College and Vassar College are both in Poughkeepsie. Marist College has a number of on campus activities for both students and residents of the community. On weekends, Marist's numerous sport activities are the hot spot for all. Marist has an outstanding Men's and Women's basketball program. In fact, the Men's team has even had players go pro.
Vassar College, of which I am sure many of you have heard of, has a beautiful campus located about half a mile from my parent's house. The culture on Vassar's campus is like no other. The student body is widely unique and the faculty is amazing. There are many events and activities to partake in such as the college's numerous plays, art shows, and their popular farm. In addition, the campus is extremely inviting; you will always find people strolling the campus and relaxing by the pond. It is quite a site!
Poughkeepsie also houses the number 1 community college in the state. Dutchess Community College has an excellent reputation for preparing their students for both careers and further attendance at 4 year accredited universities. The college has a great relationship with the community and is always hosting events. Their arts program is amazing and plays are often held which are open to the community.
Many other colleges are found in the area such as, SUNY New Paltz, Bard College, and The Culinary Institute of America. The Culinary is located a little under a mile up the street from Marist College in Hyde Park, NY. If you have not heard of this wonderful cooking school, you must have been sleeping under a rock. The cuisine here is absolutely amazing, and the graduates almost always go on to open their own restaurants (many times in the area, which is why the eateries in Poughkeepsie are fabulous) or make their way to our great NYC and other spots all throughout the nation and abroad.
I can not end the discussion on the fine institutions found in the area without mentioning West Point. West Point educates our elite military soldiers and can be found on the Hudson River. In addition to the excellence that is produced, the campus is truly a beauty. Visiting here in the fall and winter months is a must. Just sitting on the campus lawn and admiring the beautiful Hudson River valley with all its fall foliage is just enough for me!

What else does Poughkeepsie have to offer you ask? Well the food and shopping in the area are exquisite. Of course, like all areas, we have our share of the lovely chains such as Outback, Red Lobster, Olive Garden, Applebees, Chilis, Red Robin, Ruby Tuesdays, IHOP, Friendly's, you know the usual. But there are even more private owned delicious restaurants such as, Coyote Grill, River Station, Hudson's Ribs and Fish, Double O Grill, The Brewery, Twist, Casimos, Christos, South Side Cafe, Cappolo's, Spanky's, I think you get the picture. The eating in this area is out of this world. But to add to that, the area is even known for a very fine winery located in nearby Millbrook, NY. The winery is open regularly for wine tasting, which is a load of fun.

Shopping in the area is also incredible. We have the Poughkeepsie Galleria which is OK, but there are a number of independent stores like, Barnes and Nobles, Pier 1, Raymour and Flannigan just to name a few. But a short ride takes you to the Danbury Fair Mall (located in Danbury, CT) or the The Westchester (located in White Plains, NY), both of which offer amazing shopping. Another wonderful nearby shopping attraction is Woodbury Commons, a world known attraction that is only 45 minutes away. If that doesn't suit you, NYC is only an hour and a half train ride!

Now, I myself am not huge on night life, but if that is your thing, Poughkeepsie's got it! There are numerous night clubs and bars, that the residents of Poughkeepsie frequent. There is Mahoney's Irish Pub, Mulligans, Darby O'Gills, McGuilicutty's (ok, the Irish are very popular in the area), The Dutch Cabin, Front Street and many more.
There is also a number of historical sites in the Poughkeepsie area. For starters, there is the Bardavon Opera House. I am sure many of you have never heard of this place, but it is a great historical land mark in the Poughkeepsie area. It was built in 1869, and ever since, has been providing wonderful cultural performances. The Bardavon has housed many great performers such as Smokey Robinson, Frank Sinatra, James Earl Jones (who by the way lives in the area), Mark Twain and many more. (http://www.bardavon.org/about.htm) For more information, see the above website.
Next there is Locust Grove. Ever heard of Morse Code? Well Samuel B. Morse, the creator, had a home in Poughkeepsie. The estate is referred to as Locust Grove. For history on the estate and Samuel, visit http://lgny.org/history/morse.html. Today the estate is open to the public and is the center of many events. Some even have weddings on the beautiful landscape.
Another historic landmark is the Senate House. Oh the history here is absolutely amazing. In 1777, New York State Senate had their first meeting in this house. They were chased out of New York City by the British, and made their way up to Kingston, NY (directly across the Hudson River form Poughkeepsie). Later in the year, the British burned down every house in Kingston (punishment for the war) including the Senate House. This is when the capital was moved to Albany, NY. The house was rebuilt and still stands today. (http://www.nps.gov/nr/travel/kingston/k2.htm) Again, the history behind this structure is so great, I encourage you to navigate to the above cited website for more information.
The events, places and things to do are so numerous that I just can not name them all. But I think you get the picture of the history and culture that Poughkeepsie has to offer. It is truly a great place to live, work and visit. I considered myself very blessed for having grew up in this magnificent area that is so enriched. I can honestly say, that I would not be the person I am today, had I not been exposed to all of this. But, I am not the only person who feels this way. There are a number of well known people who have either lived or live in the area. To name a few there are, Mary Tyler Moore, James Earl Jones, Eddie Murphy, Kevin Bacon, and Katie Curic. It really is a wonderful place to live and raise a family. It is not a boring, uncultured, upstate hick town as many of you may think. I encourage you to go there and see for yourself and then maybe you will understand why I choose to spend so many of my free weekends there. And if you still think Poughkeepsie is not on the map, in your free time, check out Sex and the City (the movie), Friends, Law and Order or call Paris Hilton, because they have got the news on Poughkeepsie. Til next time my friends!!!!








3 comments:

Unknown said...

Ok, ok, I give...Poughkeepsie sounds great. I'll go someday!

Anonymous said...

No, pictures of the Mid-Hudson Bridge? Are you afraid you're right "look at the pretty train" in the caption.

Now that you have a blog and you've chosen to right about Po-town, you should educate the reading public on places they'd never hear about...

Like the Psych Center, or the Palace etc...

Anonymous said...

I just noticed I wrote right instead of write... a reason why I will never have a blog... its early... please forgive.

You're so going to make fun of me... I just know it!